Whoa quiet here....

A place for comments, criticism and suggestions about the website in general.
flergalwit
Mega Member

Whoa quiet here....

Postby flergalwit » 30 May 2017, 12:51

Pif was right about one thing - he sure livened this place up even if he was somewhat repetitive.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much - very busy with work work and also WorldPride planning. I'd like to get more involved after WorldPride and perhaps redirect people here for those vaunted asexuality 201 (or is it 102) discussions, maybe focussing more on the scientific analysis of asexuality. (The sociology angle is well covered on blogs and the existing literature I think.)

Also sneak preview of my other post-WP plans: I want to concentrate more on the UK, which I feel I've neglected a bit, due to spreading myself a bit thin. I'd like to start a UK activism arm of AVEN (maybe "AVEN UK"?) with the permission of the relevant people on AVEN. We made some good inroads last year with the Office of National Statistics and I'd like to continue with that. Maybe also we can have a yearly conference and perhaps even a pride float for the first time. (It's always been walking groups thus far.)

Anyway that was just my update/ramble. Feel free to move to the appropriate section. (Hehe I know.... the graveyard! :p) And thanks to Nancy and Kaeth for keeping apositive going, and please don't throw in the towel just because it's quiet at the moment. That can and will change, I think. :p

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: Whoa quiet here....

Postby PiF » 03 Jun 2017, 12:19

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 03 Jun 2017, 12:29

And he's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back piffy! Booked your tickets for Madrid yet? DJ is so looking forward to meeting you. (Kelly sends her apologies I'm afraid - work is preventing her from joining the fun...)

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 03 Jun 2017, 12:51

Madrid no, I've been away working overseas so been quite busy. DJ is still a cock and continues to promote aven as a hive mind similar to berkley. kelly having fun? Anything is possible but my lottery odds are better. I hope you are well, your face is no longer fungus e fied and your tie die continues to live

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 03 Jun 2017, 13:17

Berkeley is cool; I've been there a few times. In fact the SF conference is usually in Berkeley; I went in 2013. We need a regular one of our own. :D

As for fungus, well it's better on the face than filling the entire interior of the head, as is the case for your good self. :lol:

I haven't tie tyed in ages actually, but yeah I still like wearing it.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » 03 Jun 2017, 21:03

Heya Pif :)

I haven't been too active anywhere recently. I've got a big court case coming after next week.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » 03 Jun 2017, 22:01

PS, I tried PMing you.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 04 Jun 2017, 03:45

Apologies, Pm's now allowed and pm sent

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 10 Jun 2017, 05:40

It's good to see all of you guys!

I miss the days when Apos used to be livelier. It's discouraging to come here just to see a digital ghost town - and then, to add insult to injury, the site keeps partially logging me out so I can't see new posts.
Thanks to Catbunny's amazing talent, we now have our very own mascot for the site but for the life of me I can't figure out how to crack the code and install her on the page header.
I don't want to keep her a secret, though, because she is so awesome. I will post her picture up in the General Discussions and Fun forum.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 18 Jun 2017, 01:24

What coding system is used? I'm no expert myself when it comes to web coding mind... AVEN uses drupal for the front page. I kinda sorta know how to use that now...

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 21 Jun 2017, 07:11

I looked at it and . . . I have no idea? What's a coding system?
Ask me something about biology, genetics or maybe even art theory, but no math or computer science, please.
I'm genuinely dedicated to the cause of promoting asexuality awareness, but the only reason I still have this admin job is because nobody else has been willing to stick with it. I've learned quite a bit over time but I've never felt like I'm fully qualified to mess around in the more critical parts of the ACP.

Karl, who has rescued us in the past, has some serious issues on his plate right now and the last thing he needs is another Apositive oopsie to fix.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 22 Jun 2017, 00:25

This isn't math or computer science. :p Unfortunately. If it were, I might know how to help...

I just mean how do you even access the page header? Or the front page? There must be some framework that allows you to make changes. With AVEN that would be drupal. It could in theory just be plain html for apositive, but that seems unlikely: editing that would take ages.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 22 Jun 2017, 13:39

I had nothing to do with making the current header so I've never tried to dig into that part of the ACP, although I think I might have found where it's located.
I don't even know where the image file (files?) that it's currently using are stored, though. I don't know if Karl has them someplace or if they're somehow attached to Apositive. If they are, I can't find them, unless maybe I'm looking right at them and not recognizing them.

Under Extensions I find this:

Site Logo

VERSION:1.1.0
Path to the custom site logo.:
Leaving this blank will use the default logo.
If you want to use a remote image as the logo then enter the full url of the image otherwise, just enter the location of the image on the site.
e.g. images/my_logo.jpg

(edited to remove something that might be a URL, but doesn't seem to work.)

images/banner380x76.png

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 22 Jun 2017, 14:41

Yes it's here.
http://www.apositive.org/images/banner380x76.png

I got to that by right clicking on the banner and choosing copy image url.

So that means the banner image is hosted locally. I don't know how you'd change this file or store a new file locally. However the easiest thing to do is just to load the mascot banner to an external site (one of the many photo sharing sites for example) and point the url there. Hosting it locally would be better, if and when we figure out how to, as it might be quicker to load, but this shouldn't be too bad either.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 22 Jun 2017, 17:16

Hmmm. Verrry interesting.
I wonder if Abby will still be recognizable if I shrink her down to barely bigger than a real bee? I think I'll have to do that in order to make her fit but she has very clean lines and it might be okay.
Now I have something to play with, but I won't tackle it until late morning after I'm fully caffeinated.
:D Just because.

SpanishDuchess

Postby SpanishDuchess » 21 Jul 2017, 09:07

Hello everyone!

I've just found this thread on AVEN: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1580 ... onference/

"Hi Ciri here, Editor in Chief of AVENues amongst other things."

Congrats to Ciri!
Betrayal is the only truth that sticks. ~Arthur Miller

Return to “Feedback”