Make a Discord server or something?

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
TypoMaster

Make a Discord server or something?

Postby TypoMaster » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Speaking that this place is pretty dead, I was thinking maybe we could branch out to other places, namely Discord. If you don't know what Discord is, it's a free voice/text chat service. Link: https://discordapp.com/ . I use this all the time (albeit under my normal alias) and quite enjoy. While I doubt Discord will revitalize this community to a huge degree, I think it could help foster some more interaction. Problems I see with it though is that Discord focuses on gaming (which while I may be a big gamer, A+ little to with that), the service tends to kill forum interaction, etc. Anyways, I think it's worth a shot.

Feel free to discuss this below and tell me what you think. I could make a server myself, but since I'm not an admin here, it's probably tacky that I do so.

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Make a Discord server or something?

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:37 am

We've talked about installing a chat application several times and it keeps coming back to the same problem: moderation.

I'm not automatically against the idea, in fact I think it could be valuable, but it would have to happen after the site is more active.
Apos isn't as strictly moderated as AVEN and I don't want to change that, but the nature of chats is that they can occasionally devolve into flame wars. (Of course, message boards do it too, but with chats it happens FAST.) If we had enough active members to where there would usually be someone online who could intervene within a few minutes, then I think a chat would be pretty cool.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Thrasymachus
Established Member

Re: Make a Discord server or something?

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:45 pm

No, it will turn this to a craphole like AVEN/Reddit/etc. where mentally disturbed nerd outcasts who cannot socialize in real life will dominate via surrogate socialization. Casuals will post innocuous opinions, feelings or facts and entrenched cliques will jump down their throats and most the members of the clique will not be offended by just defended their "online friend".

It is also very suspicious that someone only 7 posts in wants a discord chat channel for a forum they barely have participated on...