The New View Campaign has created a petition that they're encouraging people to sign:
Please go to Change.org and look for the Low Sexual Desire petition and sign it and circulate it to others. ASAP, please. We will take these petitions to the June 18 Flibanserin hearing.
This is a matter that I think people in the asexual community should be VERY concerned about, and I strongly encorage people to sign the petition. If this drug is approved, expect massive "educational" campaigns telling people just how distressing not being interested in sex is.
The text of the petition:
This is a petition to advocate against FDA approval for Flibanserin, a so-called ‘female Viagra’ recently produced by the drug company Boehringer Ingelheim. It is extremely important that the FDA does not approve Flibanserin, because this new drug:
1. offers only TRIVIAL benefits to women's sexual lives, as shown in the company's clinical trials.
2. might have serious ADVERSE EFFECTS when marketed to a large population.
3. comes with an AGGRESSIVE MARKETING campaign to convince women that sexuality is located in the brain, and that low sexual desire suggests chemical imbalances in the brain.
4. contributes to UNDERMINING and CONCEALING social and cultural issues that lead to women's problems with sexual desire.
5. tends to pathologize normal sexual diversity and therefore NARROWS the ‘cultural ideal’ around female sexuality.
6. represents a classic case of the pursuit of PROFIT rather than women's sexual pleasure and scientific knowledge.
We will take this petition to the upcoming FDA hearing on Flibanserin on June 18th, 2010 as part of our grass-roots campaign of sex scholars, practitioners, and activists. We will be face-to-face with the experts and allies of Boehringer Ingelheim, a global corporation that we believe has engaged in practices of "disease-mongering" with regards to women's sexuality.
Please sign the petition and support our campaign for diverse sexualities.
For more information, check out the following posts:
Meet Your New Experimental Sex Drug: Flibanserin by Cory Silverberg
One pill makes your libido larger at Neuroskeptic
New trials of female sexual dysfunction drug (Flibanserin) will be reported this week by Petra Boyton.
I've blogged about it my blog and the blog Shades of Gray (from whom I got the link) also encourages people to sign the petition.