Asexuals and advertising

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
ASIC

Asexuals and advertising

Postby ASIC » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Given that much of advertising appears to be sexually-based - on the most basic level, with the idea that draping a girl in a bikini over the bonnet of the fast car will induce a young man to buy that particular model rather than some other! - are asexuals less susceptible to it than other people? (Hmm, I'm not sure that this follows: more advertising seems to use pictures of desirable women than of men, yet women buy more stuff that they don't need... presumably not because they are sexually attracted to the sultry models in the glossy magazines!)

I seem to be more or less completely resistant to advertising myself, but I think that's partly a question of graphical style and partly a question of a natural lack of covetousness: the things being advertised (fast cars, new mortgages, chunky jewellery, seven-days cruises, nicotine substitutes) are things that I genuinely don't want, and no amount of advertising is going to make me go out and buy them, even if I found the adverts aesthetically appealing in the first place.

And I'm not talking about sexual euphemism here: I just find the line drawing/commercial art styles of the earlier twentieth century much more attractive than glossy photographs in making me actually covet the objects illustrated. The story I like to tell with reference to advertising is the day when I came home from a day's research in the National Newspaper Library with an irrational subconscious craving for Ovaltine - which I actually went out and bought, only subsequently tracing the experience back to having been exposed to a series of advertisements for it in the 1920s papers I'd been scanning through!

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Asexuals and advertising

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 am

Interesting question, ASIC.
I know that a beautiful women selling a product doesn't seem to have much effect on me, but neither does a handsome or hunky man. In some cases it can actually put me off, because I have a tendency to distrust exceptionally attractive people until I have a chance to know them personally.
As far as advertising goes, I am much more inclined to pay attention to the announcer or to a printed description describing what the product does and how it compares to its competition. I think I would have to agree that "newspaper-style" ads are much more effective with me than TV commercials. They seem more trustworthy, even though I really should know better. It's just that I have a very hard time believing anything that I see on TV.
Radio commercials fall somewhere in between.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am

I am resistant to advertising in general and roll my eyes at it more often than not. Even IF I was attracted to the person in the advert, I wouldn't link that with the product at all.

FalconEagle
Established Member

Postby FalconEagle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am

ASIC wrote: are asexuals less susceptible to it than other people?

No, you're just more likely to show disinterest in the model. The commercial is still advertising the product surely.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08 am

Some advertisements definitely employ the 'use us and you will be beautiful/desirable/successful' tactic. Now looking at it in the cold light of day, we can see they're total crap - but what if you're young and/or insecure? When my son was younger he wouldn't wear anything without the current fashionable designer logo...I'd like to say he grew out of it, but he still goes for 'designer' gear only now goes to TK Maxx or waits for the sales :D

As for cars - well this is a new site for me so I can re-use my old stories ( ;) ) . I wanted a new car, did my research and knew what I wanted. I walked into the sale room and the salesman started to go through his speech.
"No, it's OK" I said, "I only have one question"
"And what is that madam?"
"Will my Labrador fit in the boot (trunk)?" :lol:

*I take the parcel shelf out...and now I have three dogs - haven't dared to try putting them all in yet :shifty: *
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 am

If you lived here, you'd know. 'British Gas' (I think actually owned by the French) really is bad at customer service ;)
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 am

You would think that people would come up with better ideas. I suppose it seems like too much to ask for them to have ingenuity or for them to get creative and try to do anything in marketing/advertising/media without the "sex sells" mentality. :/ This is 2012, man. Bright minds need to get on this, so others can follow suit.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
―A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:51 am

Tanwen wrote:If you lived here, you'd know. 'British Gas' (I think actually owned by the French) really is bad at customer service ;)

My boiler has broken down again and my service agreement is with British Gas...they're coming tomorrow afternoon...so maybe I should take that previous statement back. Although one time it took three months, 27 visits and a plumber (because of two leaks caused by BG engineers)...so perhaps I will reserve judgement.